Saturday, November 26, 2011

Define Happy Medium Some More

I am not as agitated anymore - it's a day later I've had time to reflect once more. And perhaps I am slow but still here is what I came up with:

It is of course not simply "the others". That would be just another excuse.
A large part of the aforementioned assumptions and expectations is actually grounded within me, too. I doubt myself, I expect more of myself because one part of me feels I should do more with my life. But more what?!?!

Today I had a conversation during the course of which I learned about the parcels we carry around with us - some since generations. Parcels? Read other people's expectations and aspirations. So we carry them despite the fact that they are not even our own. They are essentially baggage slowing us down.
Said parcels are handed down to us by family members and I am sure there are parcels from friends and bosses, too.
Be that as it may, the important thing to remember is that such parcels, such nicely wrapped expectations and hopes, and demands are not our own.
They are hand-me-downs and in the true sense wear-me-downs.
And we keep wondering why the hell we "can't get no satisfaction".
We are not fulfilling our own needs, our own destinies but some other person's instead.
That is like a paint-by-numbers-kit for disappointment, frustration and heartache.

It's strange how this never occured to me, how I never consciously thought about it like that. Or if I have, then I managed to shove into a very tiny box in the very back of my head. See, another parcel...
Now it seems soo obvious. Of course, once more it remains to be seen how I handle this knowledge. Wouldn't it be nice if I could take a closer look at my parcels, maybe even OPEN it and check the INSIDE?

I mean, we're coming up to Christmas, after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favourites